This time of year, tomatoes are widely available and at their peak. When roasted or baked, they become soft and their flavor intensifies. Tomatoes also have a host of health benefits: they have outstanding antioxidant content, can help lower cholesterol, and may help prevent certain types of cancer.
In this easy breakfast, eggs are baked in tomatoes and seasoned with fresh basil. The silky egg yolks mingle perfectly with the tomatoes’ rich flavor and produce a meal that’s delicious and filling.
Eggs Baked in Tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 leaves of fresh basil, torn
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While oven is heating, slice tops off tomatoes and scoop out most of the innards with a spoon. Discard. Place tomatoes in a small (8″x8″) baking dish.
- Drizzle the inside of each tomato with about 1/2 tsp. of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Carefully crack eggs into the tomatoes, being careful not to break the yolks. Bake tomatoes for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil.